Ya’ll, what’s with the kale trend? It’s so trendy that I keep having to stop myself from capitalizing the ‘K’! I mean, I get it. It’s quite delicious, abundant, and makes us feel warm and fuzzy in the health category. Do you ever wonder if other foods were as trendy as kale and avocados? It’s so trendy that people wear shirts with ‘Kale’ spelled with letters resembling Yale. Yes, kale is a smart choice. Side note: do you think people walked around in the 70’s wearing t-shirts that said “Mustard Greens” across the chest? It was the 70’s so I wouldn’t be surprised, but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the case. Regardless, this delectable powerhouse of a dish is incredibly versatile and satisfying. You need six ingredients, three of which you should already have in your pantry, and you can easily make leftovers. You know how I feel about leftovers! The cucumber adds a refreshingly subtle taste but a necessary crunch. It’s a great contrast to the softness of the kale and quinoa.
Kale + Quinoa Salad
- 1 Bunch of kale washed thoroughly
- 2 cups Quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup English cucumber diced into 1/4in pieces
- 2 Lemons juiced (be sure to remove seeds!)
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you bought dry quinoa, follow the cooking instructions and prep it before handling the kale.
- If you bought precooked quinoa, go ahead and follow the instructions, but be sure to open the bags immediately to release some of the steam.
- Wash kale thoroughly. This is the ONLY reason I dislike kale. It takes an extra-conscientious cleaning, which takes extra time. Fear not, it’s worth it.
- Break off the leaf away from the thick stem. It helps to use the veins as a guide to how close to get to the stem. Too close will result in fibrous and tough leaves. No bueno.
- Once you’ve done the laborious task, it’s all downhill from here. Ready?
- Mix all the ingredients together. Eat up knowing that this is a guilt-free dish!