You either love them or hate them, and I probably already lost half of you with the title. They are a controversial vegetable. The smell alone causes great consternation among those living with you. For those who are still here, do I have a recipe for you! You can cook this up for your loved one who turns his/her nose up at brussels sprouts and most likely be in for a surprise. They’re going to love them. You’ll then be overwhelmed with a well-deserved pride knowing that you converted the brussels sprout-hater all by yourself. And if you didn’t, then more for you. It’s a win-win!
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, trim ends and quartered
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fat such as butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat
- 1/4 cup cranberries (optional)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, cook 1 1/2 tbsp of the fat, onions, and brussels sprouts over medium heat, stirring frequently for about fifteen minutes. Taste as you go as many stoves cook at different temperatures.
- In a smaller pan, toast the almonds with the remaining fat. Stir frequently until golden brown
- Add lemon juice close to the brussels sprouts. Stir. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Top with almonds and cheese
- Serve hot and enjoy