Poached egg, squash, and goetta
This morning, I was making breakfast and remembered we had some goetta in the fridge! I figured I’d add this to the “breakfast of champions” and see how it goes. I tell you what, it’s GENIUS! This breakfast mixes sweet, salty and savory in each bite. It’s a healthier breakfast, and won’t leave you A. wishing you hadn’t eaten it, or B. wishing you could eat more. It’s definitely a good autumn mean to start your day!
- 2 slices goetta cooked in a pan and seared on both sides (follow cooking directions on the package)
- 1-2 poached eggs (depending on how hungry you are)
- 1/4 onion, diced thinly
- 1/2 yellow squash, diced in 1in pieces
- 1/2 zucchini squash, diced in 1in pieces
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a hot pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Cook and stir until it becomes golden
- Add the zucchini and squash to the pan, stir, and cover allowing the moisture to cook the squash faster
- In the meantime if you have not done so, cook the goetta on a separate small pan and leave to the side
- Boil water in a small pot and add vinegar. Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer and gently crack the egg into the pot. Allow a few seconds for it to form then use a small spoon to make a circular motion in the water. This prevents the egg white from cooking separately. After 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, take the egg out with a sifting spoon and leave off to the side
- Once the squash is darker in color and softer in texture, it is finished. Season with salt and pepper, and place in a bowl. Place the goetta on top and finish with the poached egg.