I think we can all agree that the weather in north America has been completely out-of-whack; in Cincinnati anyway. One day we’re experiencing 85 degree Fahrenheit then the next day we need a jacket. Either way, two things remain certain. One, it is the month of April. And two, it has definitely been raining! One thing comes to mind as we creep toward the end of this shower period… CINCO DE MAYO IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!
You don’t have to be in Mexico to appreciate this wonderful holiday. People in the United states observe it as well! If you live in neither of those countries I say strap a sombrero to your head and say “O’lay!” anyway because this guacamole is worth celebrating over! This is a fun, easy and positively delicious recipe with very few ingredients and steps!
Prep time: 20 minutes
-4 medium avocados
-4 cloves smashed garlic
-1/4 finely chopped red onion
-1 large lime
-pinch of salt
-1 bag tortilla chips
1. Slice in half, pit and peel the avocado by using a paring knife. Try cutting the avocado while still in the skin in a checkerboard pattern. Then flip it over and push it out of the skin into a medium size bowl. That makes it easier but takes longer.
2. Using a medicine mallet or hand held garlic smasher, smash the garlic until it is extremely fine. If you are using the mallet, add a pinch of salt to the garlic before smashing to make it easier.
**The salt grinds help break down the garlic**
3. Dice the onion until it is extremely fine (nobody likes to chew on a large piece of onion)
4. Use a hand-held mixer or fork to mash the avocado. Be careful not to mash it too much or else it will lose the intended thick consistency
5. Juice the lime over the avocado and stir in the rest of the ingredients
6. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!