Dive into this dish if you’re looking for comfort and elegance. My family goes nuts for anything including chicken and sauce. Added props to this dish since mushrooms are included. If you’re not a fan of the fungi, skip the mushrooms. It won’t be a traditional marsala, but I won’t tell anyone.
A savory chicken dish served with potatoes and your choice of vegetables
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large shallot minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a plastic bag, and lightly tenderize it with the smooth side. You can also use a rolling pin. Season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper on each side.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
- Once butter bubbles, add the chicken breasts seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Let chicken cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a golden brown color is achieved.
- Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, add shallots, garlic, and extra olive oil if needed. Stir well and avoid caramelization. Add mushrooms and cook for five minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add flour and stir until you no longer see the white of the flour.
- Add stock, marsala wine, and milk. Stir well.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste. It shouldn't be bland.
- Return the chicken back to the pan. Cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low to finish cooking until internal temperature reaches 160 deg F. The temperature will continue to rise as the chicken rests.
- Serve with roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes