I am watching Parks & Recreation as I type, and I can’t help but think that Ron Swanson would be very pleased with my Shepherd’s Pie. The beef was lean and tender, the vegetables had a bite, and the mashed potatoes were very thick and creamy. Wait a minute, Ron Swanson doesn’t like vegetables. Well, I’m convinced that he would change his mind after trying this blind-folded. It is very flavorful and delicious.
In my opinion, that’s enough said. So enjoy this fun, easy, and positively delicious recipe!
7 small-medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large fractions
1 stick butter
2 cups milk, I used 2%
1/4 cup mild cheddar cheese, finely shredded
salt to taste
1 lb sirloin ground beef
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 15oz can cut green beans, drained
1 small to medium onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine or minced
2 tbs kitchen bouquet
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried rosemary, pressed between fingers
1 tsp sage
3/4 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes in a medium-large pot and fill with enough water to rise an inch above the potatoes. Heat on high until they boil then remove lid and lower to medium heat
2. Once you can easily poke the potatoes with a fork, drain the water, place potatoes back in the pot, and mix the rest of the ingredients. Use an electric hand or standing mixer. Put the potatoes aside
3.Preheat oven to 400deg F
4. In another pot, sautee olive oil, onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Once onions are translucent, add the beef and let it brown by stirring frequently
45Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and let the stew cook for 10 minutes after the broth starts to simmer
6. In a 2 1/2 quart casserole/Corningware dish, pour the beef stew and spread it evenly
7. Top the beef with the mashed potatoes. Make sure they cover the beef completely. There is supposed to be a thicker layer of mashed potatoes, so don’t be alarmed.
9. Place a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil to catch anything that spills over the dish (Yes, this will happen, don’t test it). Also, be sure to place the oven rack in the middle of the oven
10. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once finished, let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.